Saturday, August 17, 2013

Ramblings and grumblings about Aunt Carol.

Memories of my Grandma Ferne are very special to me. I love that I now have a memento to remember the early morning talks we had over her kitchen table while drinking coffee and reading the newspaper and mapping out our day. My grandma was a real woman, not worried about her hair or makeup first thing in the morning, she simple came out in her blue silk robe and sat across the table from me and really look at me. She treated me like an equal, not always like a granddaughter. 

I spent a week at her house leading up to our wedding in May of 2008. By then my Grandpa had already passed, I believe he had passed in Feb 2005. Grandma has always been so strong. She braved through grandpas passing with what looked like grace and ease, even though I am sure she was hurting. My grandparents fought with one another, but it was little bickering that never really meant anything. They had just been married for so many years. 

Yesterday Aunt Carol stopped by, while I had both the kids down for naps, which had been sleeping better than normal, so I was starting to gain some progress on my site. But I stopped what I was doing to talk to Aunt Carol. After a few minutes of her being here the kids ended up waking up and she got to visit with them. She told me the same story about the cell phones being in grandmas name until last December when she wanted to renew them and got it changed into her name...the reason they renewed was so they could get new phones, not to appease Grandma like Aunt Carol kept leading me to believe. I hate that she lies to me over petty stuff like that. Instead of taking responsibility for wanting a new phone and getting the contract changed over into her name and adding aunt ruth's line, she blames my grandma that probably didn't know any better. It drives me literally nuts that she can never take responsibility for anything, yet knows everything about everything. So in the same conversation we had yesterday she told me the same cell phone story. 

When she first walked in she brought in the mug from Grandma's house. She had a bag I crocheted stuffed in it. She said that my brother really wanted my sister and I to have these, although they were a gift that Aunt Carol had given grandma, along with a cookie jar that she gave "Larry, your dad," she kept referring to my dad in this manner. But when I was there visiting in July with Kristina we talked to dad and aunt carol about the mugs and even then Aunt Carol didn't seem to know what was going on with them...my dad said that the girls would like to have a mug each. I seriously think aunt carol needs to go to therapy for her issues.

aunt carol mentioned that she would still be going "home" every summer to visit, probably not as long, but to go and see her friends and this one lady that is really special to her. It all the sudden popped into my mind that aunt carol could be gay. She has another group of women that she goes to retreats with out here in md, but downstate. It doesn't seem very likely because she is so uptight, but its a possibility that she is a closet gay. She doesn't love Ron, I think she is just hanging around for the estate money on that...which she most likely won't get much of since he wants a lot of it to go to his kids. Something just seems off about aunt carol and fred agrees that she hasn't been right for sometime...but really she just seems a bit worse than normal. I wonder since I am her only family out here if I am going to be the one to have to take care of her as she ages and make the decisions she is making for her aunt ruth. I kind of want to talk to my dad and see what he thinks...if there is anything i can do to help her. 

No comments:

Post a Comment